Monday, May 26, 2008

2 year's Ago-

2 years ago was a memorial day our family will never forget- This is how my Mom wrote it on what happened on that day..........................
"Monday, May 29th is a day I am sure noone in our family will ever forget. Hal and I took the kids by my mom's house on our way home from our camping trip. The plans were to unload the camper and meet back at Nana's house for dinner. She always cooks us dinner when we get home from a vacation. Hal and I were 10 minutes from her house when we received a call from my sister in law that Hayne had been attacked by a dog. She was screaming and could not give us details. All logic flew out the window. Hal drove his truck(camper and all) through someone's front yard because he could not get it turned around. I could not remember anyone's phone number. All I could think to do was to get him on every prayer list possible. We arrived at my mom's house and EMS was already there. When we got in the ambulance, we were in shock. No words can describe the horror of seeing your child's face ripped apart by an animal. Hayne was crying and my dad was holding him. Once Hal and I were reminded by my dad that we had to be calm for him, everything settled down. I held him on the way to the hospital and carried him into the ER. Our dear friend, John, called in a plastic surgeon for us and we will forever be grateful. The ER staff would not touch Hayne. His top lip was ripped apart with pieces missing, he had cuts beside his eye and beneath it, 2 rips in his head. The surgeon stated that 20% of his lip was gone. After 2 hours of waiting, they started stitching him. He was put to sleep and the process took about 2 hours. Hal and I stayed with him. I can honestly say that God gave me such peace. I kept remembering the scripture "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" I kept thanking God that my son was alive. We were in the valley but tomorrow we would be on the mountain top shouting God's glory in protecting our child. Details of the accident came later. My other 2 children witnessed the entire thing. My mom had taken the kids to see new puppies next door at my brother's house. The mom dog got scared and turned on Hayne. Thank God that my mother knew what to do. How do you thank the person who saved your child's life. With no regard for her own safety, she threw herself on top of Hayne to stop the dog. My brother heard the screaming and rushed from the house. He was able to get Hayne from under my mom and take him into the house. My mom and kids were never attacked by the dog. My mom and brother have taken this so hard. I wish that they knew how grateful Hal and I are for their fast thinking and response. I know that my mom would have given her own life to protect Hayne. She loves my kids as much as we do and would do anything for them. I can never express to her and my brother how much I love them and appreciate what they did for Hayne. He is alive and well because of them. He ended up with 80 stitches in his lip, under his eye, beside his eye and in his head. One week later, the surgeon was in shock. He could not believe how good he looked. He kept telling us that there was no explanation for his recovery. He felt we would need multiple corrective surgeries but there will be none. Hayne's injuries completely closed up and except for some scaring, he is as good as new. Although our doctor has no explanation for his recovery, I know the reason. It is the mercy and grace of our Lord. It is the prayers of churches all over this country within an hour of the accident. It was the desperate plea for help from a grandmother and uncle as Hayne was attacked. It was the angels surrounding my son and protecting his eyes and throat during the attack. It was a hospital full of church staff, deacons and friends gathered to pray while we were treated in the ER. Hayne is a miracle and a testimony to the faithfulness of our God. We will forever be grateful!"
The pix below are of the day after he got attacked and months later and our mos recent photo- He is our Miracle and only by God's amazing Love and Grace is he here today- Hayne was 3 and now is 5- His scar is now showing more than it used to but it will get worse and worse and then not be as noticeable hopefully- He is very self-conscious about it- Please pray he doesn't have a huge scar during the rest of his life- If it was not for my Nana's bravery he would not be here today---- I was there for the entire thing and it is something i will never forget- Here are the pix they are a little weird but it shows you how great God is-

Still Handsome in our eyes

Side view- Uncle Johnny got me a Blue power ranger costume-
Up close

Looking better couple of days later-

Going to get my stitches out- YAY they didn't come open-- It took 5 people plus the head nurse to hold me down!!

2 months later

Excuse the dirty face! He is looking great-

How great is our God!


forever sisters said...

I'm SOO glad that Hayne has gotten better. Tell him we said hi and we miss him.

forever sisters said...

look @ my blog I'm going to put a video on my blog w/ hayne.

Lexie said...


He looks great!

Shawnstribe said...

God is soo good, and tell Hayne that he looks very handsome, Aila thinks so too!!!! ; )
Aila's mommy